Palpation is another important aspect of a physiotherapy assessment. How can a physiotherapist obtain the information they would normally obtain from in-person palpation exam via telehealth? Below we have provided with some guidance and suggestions on how to use patient self-palpation to address this barrier.
- Self-palpation is an opportunity for patients to identify symptoms such as swelling, tenderness and location of pain.
- Perform a demonstration of palpation technique in real time. You may also like to provide your patient with pictures or video instructions to show them where and how to palpate.
- Guide patients with clear instructions as they are self-palpating.
- Provide verbal support to patients to help them describe what they are feeling – e.g. does the area feel tender? hard? Tingly?
- Consider having a carer or partner assist with palpation in some cases
Watch the short video below that shares some tips for a self-palpation assessment via telehealth
Next – The Knee